Large print, one of two known examples of a colour woodblock by the “daughter of”. It took some time to identify this forgotten printmaker. Researching her mothers biography she emerged from history. Her composition of blue pottery with the yellow tulips (ARCHIVE) shows what a fine printmaker she was.
Else Günther-Falck ( ? - 11-09-1941 Rival, Estonia.
Printmaker and probably arts & crafts artist. Known by a single colour woodblock print of 4 towers perhaps the Kremlin in Moscow or Leningrad cathedral using a monogram EGF. She is mentioned in an Estonian newspaper article (27-02-1937) as winning a first prize describing (a design for) a woven table cloth in the “Glasgow-Talinn Department”.
Possibly the daughter of Hans and Olli Falck in Posen and married to Viktor Günther in Posen. Newspaper announcement “Posen: Am 11-09 1941 verschied in großer Einsamkeit” (died in great solitude). Else Günther-Falck probably was a Jewish artist. The Rahumäe (Mount Peace) cemetery has a Jewish section for the murdered Jewish people. Buried 15-09-1941 in Rahumäe cemetery in Tallinn Estonia)
Her father probably perished in the Lodz (Litzmannstadt) Ghetto.
Helene Ladstätter (1892 - 1970 Vienna)
Austrian printmaker. Although her identity (family) is still a mystery she is mentioned in an article in “the Studio Magazine” 1924, Vol. 87, page 136-137. Here she is mentioned (and praised) as “Miss H. Ladstätter”. In the article were also mentioned Dr. Emma Bormann (1887-1974) and a print entitled “Dorfstrasse”. She exhibited in 1939 together with printmakers William Giles (1872-1939), Yoshijiro Urushibara (1888-1953), Engelbert Lap (1886-1970) and others at Colnaghi Art Gallery in Bondstreet London. This firm in the 1920-30s had strong connections with the art business in America possibly explaining her prints surfacing in America. She is known by 4 (alpine) woodblock prints sold/auctioned in recent years in America and England.
She was probably a member of the “Verein für Bildende Künstlerinnen Österreichs” (VBKÖ) because in 1970 her obituary is kept in its archives
Exhibited 1947 in the Große Östereichische Kunstausstellung with (a.o.) Valerie Praschniker and Elfriede Miller-Hauenfels.
Dear print lover, passing-by visitor and reader:
While this new gallery-museum site is under construction (being build-up, stocked and arranged) priority must be given to first add all the represented artists in the index with works from the collection and if possible with the examples from the archives.
During construction the site is open to visitors, questions, feedback and suggestions.
Read more about the artists, their lives, families and careers in the new and extensive Artist Lexicon: “DAS HAUS DER FRAU, the short biographies” accompanying this exhibition.
Hundreds of new artist biographies, a private publication in 2 Volumes written conveniently in English.
Visit the Shop for more info.