Although created by a contemporary artist, when the opportunity was there, a choice of three etchings all numbered 82/100 was selected to join this Nymphaeum collection. As owner, director and curator, all in one person, of this unique collection the criteria of who to represent and by which work(s) is not dependent on other taste or budget but my own.
Besides: Torrilhons exquisite and intimate etchings come as close as can be to owning a work by Andrew Wyatt (1917 - 2009) to whom the model (No.3) bares a certain resemblance. Both male artist share the same delicate and respectful eye to their beautiful female model.
Tony Torrilhon (Melon 27-09-1931 -
Graphic artist and printmaker. Son (second from 7 children) of an engineer. He studied medicine at the “Lycee Louis-le-Grand” in Paris starting in 1949, with a focus on pathology. Received his Summa cum Laude in 1957 with a thesis describing pathology in the paintings of Pieter Breughel the Elder. He took secondary art classes in drawing and printmaking at this time, and in the mid 1950s he participated in group shows at the Benezit Gallery in Paris as well as a traveling exhibition in 1958 that went from Paris to Geneva, Switzerland to Houston, Texas.
After his military service in Algeria as a field doctor from 1958 to 1960, he returned to school with the intent of learning printmaking. He attended the “Academia delle Belle Arti” in Florence, IT, in 1961 before relocating to Germany, where he attended the “Hochschule der Kunste”. He exhibited at the “Artisti Stranieri in Firenze” exhibitions of 1964, '65, and '69. He briefly returned to Paris in 1972 on an internship to the Ecole Boule, furthering his studies. He participated in several major exhibitions of copperplate engravings in West Berlin in the late 1970s, with the theme of political freedom, including the Free Berlin Art Exhibition in 1975.
By the early 1980s he began incorporating more wooden sculpture into his oeuvre and accepted several commissions from private and public institutions. He continued to exhibit frequently throughout Europe. In 2001 a retrospective of his work was held in Berlin. In 2007 he received a major commission for a sculpture at the Rheinsberg bulwark, "Hand mit Stein” (Hand with Stone).
Dear print lover, passing-by visitor and reader:
While this new gallery-museum site is under construction (being build-up, stocked and arranged) priority must be given to first add all the represented artists in the index with works from the collection and if possible with the examples from the archives.
During construction the site is open to visitors, questions, feedback and suggestions.
Read more about the artists, their lives, families and careers in the new and extensive Artist Lexicon: “DAS HAUS DER FRAU, the short biographies” accompanying this exhibition.
Hundreds of new artist biographies, a private publication in 2 Volumes written conveniently in English.
Visit the Shop for more info.